With great gratitude and appreciation to all the authors for their time and contributions, we would like to introduce a special Chinese Clinical Oncology issue on neuro-oncology. Neuro-oncology is a rapidly growing field focusing on managing oncological diseases affecting the nervous system. In this special issue of Chinese Clinical Oncology, we have asked clinical leaders in the field to write critical reviews on selected key topics that are particularly relevant to practitioners treating central nervous system (CNS) malignancies. These articles summarize the current understanding, the standards of care, and future directions.
Glioblastoma (GBM) is the most devastating primary malignancy of the CNS in adults, as a result, this issue gives a special emphasis on the recent development in the management of GBM. It covers the recent clinical trials in glioblastoma which have demonstrated improvements with the use of tumor treatment field and alternative standards of care for elderly patients (1,2). In addition, it also covers advancements in imaging and response assessment for gliomas, as well as an editorial on the advances of surgery in the management of GBM (3-6).
In addition, this special issue also includes reviews on the current management of primary CNS lymphoma, the use of radiation in brain metastasis, and an editorial on the management of low grade glioma (7-9). In this special issue, our authors put forward expert guidance navigating the literature in the setting of these significant new findings.
- de Moraes FY, Laperriere N. Glioblastoma in the elderly: initial management. Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:39.
- Zhu P, Zhu JJ. Tumor treating fields: A novel and effective therapy for glioblastoma: mechanism, efficacy, safety and future perspectives. Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:41.
- Barney C, Shukla G, Bhamidipati D, et al. Re-irradiation for recurrent glioblastoma multiforme. Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:36.
- Sharma M, Juthani RG, Vogelbaum MA. Updated response assessment criteria for high-grade glioma: beyond the MacDonald criteria. Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:37.
- Shukla G, Alexander GS, Bakas S, et al. Advanced magnetic resonance imaging in glioblastoma: a review. Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:40.
- Lee I. Advances in surgical approaches in glioblastoma (GBM). Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:42.
- Glass J. Current management of primary central nervous system lymphoma. Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:38.
- Lam TC, Sahgal A, Lo SS, et al. An update on radiation therapy for brain metastases. Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:35.
- Choucair AK. Low grade glioma: a journey towards a cure. Chin Clin Oncol 2017;6:43.