Welcome to this special issue of Chinese Clinical Oncology (CCO) dedicated to biliary cancer. I am very thankful to the Editors-in-Chief Prof. Qin and Prof. Lu for their opportunity and very grateful to all colleagues who contributed to this issue (Figure 1).
With the continued rise in the incidence of biliary cancer worldwide and with the advancement of the science that hopefully contributes to developing therapy and improving outcome for our patients, this special issue of CCO comes very timely. We made sure—other than the standard material of a review edition—to include special articles on timely subjects.
I invite you to look into the article about epidemiology by Dr. Marcano-Bonilla, Dr. Lewis Roberts and other colleagues from Mayo Clinic (2) the surgery article contributed by Dr. Mark Fairweather, Dr. Michael I. D’Angelica and other colleagues. from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (3) the article about adjuvant therapy by Dr. Mark K. Doherty and Dr. Jennifer J. Knox from Princess Margaret, Toronto, Canada (4), as well as the systemic therapy for biliary cancers contributed by Dr. Emmet Jordan and other colleagues from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (5). In addition to that, we have special articles on MSI expression in biliary cancer contributed by Dr. Krauss Silva, Dr. Jinru Shia and etc. from the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (6).
Combined intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and hepatocellular carcinoma was led by Dr. Louise C. Connell and other colleagues from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (7). A special article of interest on biliary cancers in South America was led by our colleague from Argentina Dr. Gerardo F. Arroyo (8). And last, an article about the biliary interventions and complications contributed by Dr. Hooman Yarmohammadi and Prof. Anne M. Covey from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (9).
I invite you to look at all those articles and we look for any comment or input. We are available through email as noted at the bottom of every page of every article. Finally, I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate and thank the Editorial Office of Chinese Clinical Oncology for bringing this important effort and special edition to you in a very timely action.
- Abou-Alfa GK. Preface: special issue on biliary cancer. Asvide 2016;3:433. Available online: http://www.asvide.com/articles/1205
- Marcano-Bonilla L, Mohamed EA, Mounajjed T, et al. Biliary tract cancers: epidemiology, molecular pathogenesis and genetic risk associations. Chin Clin Oncol 2016;5:61.
- Fairweather M, Balachandran VP, D’Angelica MI. Surgical management of biliary tract cancers. Chin Clin Oncol 2016;5:63.
- Doherty MK, Knox JJ. Adjuvant therapy for resected biliary tract cancer: a review. Chin Clin Oncol 2016;5:64.
- Jordan E, Abou-Alfa GK, Lowery MA. Systemic therapy for biliary cancers. Chin Clin Oncol 2016;5:65.
- Silva VW, Askan G, Daniel TD, et al. Biliary carcinomas: pathology and the role of DNA mismatch repair deficiency. Chin Clin Oncol 2016;5:62.
- Connell LC, Harding JJ, Shia J, et al. Combined intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and hepatocellular carcinoma. Chin Clin Oncol 2016;5:66.
- Arroyo GF, Gentile A, Parada LA. Gallbladder cancer: south american experience. Chin Clin Oncol 2016;5:67.
- Yarmohammadi H, Covey AM. Percutaneous biliary interventions and complications in malignant bile duct obstruction. Chin Clin Oncol 2016;5:68.